Saturday 28 October 2017

A Castle


After two depressing posts, I think it’s time to add a little bit of joy to the proceedings.

This year has been shit but in the midst of the manure, I have visited a couple of great little places in England in my quest to see as much of my own country as possible.

The first place is Ludlow, a small market town hidden in the countryside of South Shropshire. It’s a wonderful little place with almost 500 listed buildings, i.e. buildings that have been added to the Statutory List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.

There is also an old medieval castle that has sadly fallen into decline over the years and while it is largely in ruins, it is still interesting enough to visit.

Ludlow is a lovely little town, filled with history and surrounded by verdant countryside that is excellent for a decent ramble on a Saturday morning; a great way to relax if you need to unwind after a stressful week at work.

Mrs PM and I spent the weekend simply walking around, visiting the castle and enjoying hearty English fare washed down with a pint or two of the finest English ale.

Ludlow is home to a couple of interesting structures.

First, Ludlow Castle, initially started way back in 1086, stands over the town like a silent sentinel. It’s fallen into disrepair over the years and is now largely in ruins. However, there is enough present for a stimulating visit.

Originating a couple of hundred years later, St Laurence’s church is also significant building and can be seen from most of the town.

If you are a fan of English architecture, you will love the place.

Here are few photos.







Mrs PM - A Damsel in Distress
A Knight to the Rescue






Finally, I encountered quite an interesting toilet in a pub (I’m sorry to discuss toilets again). This one had beer barrels as urinals with humorous little signs indicating how a man’s liquid waste product can be converted back into ale. I had to break men’s public toilet etiquette rules and risk being thought of as some kind of pervert by taking a photograph in the men’s loo. Thankfully I was alone when I did this. 

Here is the photo.

Which one is used for lager?
The things I do for this blog.

8 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I do love the English countryside - and watch Escape to the Country just so I can marvel at it.
Add in some historical architecture? Bliss.
And tell the truth, you loved taking photos of the urinals.

River said...

I absolutely have to save that last photo and send it to my son, he'll love it.
I like looking at old castles, but what I'd really like to do is wander around inside and imagine what the rooms were used for and how the people lived. That's where my interest in history lies. The personal way of lives way back when.

Pandora Behr said...

I miss England for the castles. I just miss England.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi EC,

I love the English countryside too.

As for taking the urinal pictures - the pub was very busy so it was quite a risk to take the picture. Who knows what would have been said by anybody who saw me?

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi River,

You can look at plans of the castle as you wonder round. There are bigger and better castles all around the UK. In fact, we visited Warwick too - a post about that will follow very soon.

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

You should pop over for a visit. Actually, it's not easy from Australia is it? I'd love to pop Down Under again too but the flight time is soooo long!

:o)

Cheers

PM

Dale Brown said...

I do like a good castle. Not entirely sure about the beercask bogs though.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Big D,

I actually quite like them.

:o)

Cheers

PM