Tuesday 8 February 2011

Gary Moore - RIP


On Sunday we lost another rock legend. Gary Moore, one of the world’s greatest guitarists died of a heart attack while on holiday in Spain.

He was 58 years old.

As well as playing guitar for Thin Lizzy on the momentous Black Rose album, he had a wonderful solo career, first as a rock guitarist and later, returning to his beloved blues.

I was fortunate enough to see Gary live in 1990 when he toured with his first blues album called “Still Got The Blues”. Initially I was disappointed because I expected him to play some of his rock classics, but as the concert progressed I was struck by how good a guitar player he was – in fact, one of the best I have seen.

It is a sad loss to the world of music and at such a relatively young age.

To help his memory live on in my own small way, I present to you my favourite songs featuring Gary Moore.

10. Led Clones – Gary Moore and Ozzy Osbourne

“After the War” is one of my favourite albums and features heavily in this top ten. “Led Clones” features the vocal talents of Ozzy Osbourne and one of my favourite drummers, Cozy Powell. The song bemoans the number of bands at the time who sounded like Led Zeppelin – hence the title. A great tune.

9. Thunder Rising – Gary Moore

“Wild Frontier” is my favourite album by Gary Moore and “Thunder Rising” is a magnificent rock anthem featuring Gary at his best. A wonderful excuse to get out your guitar.

8. After The War – Gary Moore

This is the title track to “After the War” and once again demonstrates that Gary could write a fabulous tune. Again it features the talents of Cozy Powell on the drums and offers you yet another excuse to haul out your air guitar.

7. Waiting For An Alibi – Thin Lizzy

This song is taken from the album “Black Rose”, one of the best albums by Thin Lizzy.

6. Midnight Blues – Gary Moore

When Gary Moore turned to the blues I was quite shocked but the album, “Still Got The Blues” is a superb album. My favourite song is “Midnight Blues” and is so solemn and tuneful that it brings a tear to my eyes, particularly given his passing. This is a superb song.

5. Take A Little Time – Gary Moore

Another powerful rock song from “Wild Frontier”. Time to get out that air guitar again.

4. Out In The Fields – Gary Moore and Phil Lynott

This was one of the last songs recorded by Phil Lynott and was quite sad just because of that fact. Nevertheless, it is a wonderful song featuring two absolute legends.

3. Friday On My Mind – Gary Moore

I love “Friday On My Mind”, particularly the version from “Pin Ups” by David Bowie. Gary Moore covered the song on “Wild Frontier” and turned it into a cracking rock song that surpassed both Bowie’s version and that of the Easybeats.

2. Blood Of Emeralds – Gary Moore

“Blood of Emeralds” is a masterpiece. It has a very Celtic feel to it, as you can probably guess from the title of the song. One of the best rock songs of the 1980’s. Sadly it nestled on the album “After the War” and, in my opinion would have made a superb single.

1. Over The Hills And Far Away – Gary Moore

“Over The Hills…” was the song that got me into Gary Moore. It was a single and I loved it from the moment I heard it. It is the first and best song on “Wild Frontier”. The album contains a longer version of this song with some blistering guitar.


Rest in peace , Gary – we’ll miss you.

10 comments:

Twisting the Spanner said...

RIP Gary Moore. 58 is depressingly young, really. Nice to see the Ozzy Osbourne collaboration on your list!

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi TtS,

58 is depressingly young, isn't it?

Cheers

PM

River said...

I have several unplayed records and a couple of cd's also unplayed, by Gary Moore. They belong to my older son, who asked me to keep them for him when he first bought them. He refuses to take them home, because when he and his partner have their drunken fights they tend to destroy things the other treasures.

Sandee said...

Way, way too young. What a shame.

Have a terrific day. :)

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi River,

You should play them - you might like one or two of them...

:0)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Sandee,

Definitely. It's a real shame.

Cheers

PM

Kath Lockett said...

When I heard the news I knew that it was time to go and grab the 'Thunder Rising' album on iTunes. I had it cassette form years ago and pretty well wore it out.

RIP Gary.

Plastic Mancunian said...

G'Day Kath,

I, too, have been listening to some of his albums again. I've played "Wild Frontier" and "After The War" almost constantly since Sunday.

Cheers

PM

River said...

They're sealed in a package, I promised I would keep them untouched.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi River,

Aww - that's a shame..

:0)

Cheers

PM