Friday 16 May 2008

The Musical Life

Isn’t music great!

I recently bought a few more CDs to add to my collection and while ripping them onto my PC in preparation for putting them onto my mp3 player, it struck me that in my 40 odd years of existence I have listened to hundreds of hours of music and thousands of songs, some of which has passed me by like a distant ship in the night, some of which has walked up to me and slapped me in the face, screaming “LISTEN TO ME”, and some of it has burned its way into my heart.

I have a preference for rock music, heavy metal and anything that is aggressive and dark but I also like certain other types of music as well. Many of my mates think my musical taste is narrow, mainly because I rant about music I do not like (and usually it is their music that I am ranting at).

Anyway, back to the point of the post. As I catalogued my new CDs I decided to listen to a few songs that had disappeared from my radar. These were mainly old songs that had influenced my taste in one way or another since the sixties. It was very nice to bring them back out of obscurity and into my life, even for a fleeting moment. The more I listened to, the more nostalgic I became and I found myself noting down those songs that had struck a heart chord over the years.

I decided to simply list them and, because of my preference, split them into two groups, broadly “rock” and “pop”. Before I knew it I had a massive list and, in a slightly geeky way, I listed my favourites. In the end, after a week or two (I know it sounds really sad) I had accumulated a list of 100 pop songs and 200 rock songs. These lists were just the tip of the iceberg.

Having done this, I was wondering what to do with it. Being a budding writer (well in my dreams anyway) I began to write about them. And it was good to air these songs as I put keypad to electronic paper.

I don’t intend to bore the population of cyberspace with these words, but I will post a list of songs for anybody who happens to stumble onto the blog and who may have a vague interest.

I think it is too much for one post so I will scatter them over the next few days/weeks.

If you read this list I would be interested in your thoughts. Somewhere out there is somebody whose taste in music is very similar to my own – I hope.

No comments: