Tuesday 24 January 2017

Progressive Thoughts - Day 24


Today’s song is my favourite by Muse and it’s called Knights of Cydonia.



The song is an anthem for people who want to stand up for themselves, fight oppression and take control of their own destiny.

I particularly like the lyric:

I’ll show you a god who falls asleep on the job

How can we win when fools can be kings?

I believe this rings true particularly in recent times and, as I’ve said before, the anarchist inside me is chomping at the bit to lash out at the injustices of the world. Sensibly, I now choose to ignore him, apart from the occasional rant, mainly because I have become pragmatic about these things.

I know that there are few people in the world who totally agree with me about everything, so, when I think about it, why should anybody else listen to me when I stand up like an angry old blond ape and start pontificating about how everybody should have my ideals?


The truth is that they shouldn’t. All they will do, at best, is take my views on board and make their own judgements. That’s (kind of) what I do am starting to do myself to be honest, much to the anarchist’s disgust.

Ultimately we live in a democracy and while everything might not be perfect, at least there are ways to protest peacefully without fear of reprisals.

All of this certainly hasn’t stopped me ranting in the past, something which others have found entertaining, probably because I can be quite energetic, animated and use certain phrases (peppered with the odd expletive) to express my disgust.

There have been several targets over the years and when I look back over some of them, I have in some ways been proven to be correct. Most have been political figures but sometimes the world of popular culture is a decent and easy target.

To be perfectly honest with you, I hate ranting about politics and I try my best not to do so – particularly on this blog. Last year, in 2016, I wound myself up so much that I actually started to hate the world around me and I found that totally unacceptable.

My views on life were uncharacteristically negative and the spiral of despair threatened to go out of control.

I made a vow to stop being negative in 2017 and start thinking positively. Thus far, it seems to be working.

I almost snapped at work last week when a colleague told me about a story he had read on the internet. It involved a young female who had been cut off by her parents for being a spoiled brat. She claims it is because her boyfriend was black but her parents deny this.

What did she do? She raised $10000 through crowdfunding. People actually gave her money.

The anarchist within rubbed his hands in glee because this was worthy of a rant and, for about ten seconds, I forgot my resolution, took a deep breath and handed over the reins to the anarchist.

And then I stopped.

“What am I doing?” I asked myself. “Does this really make a difference to me? Why should I care?”

I turned to my friend and said You almost got me!”

“SHIT!” he exclaimed. “I was looking forward to the first rant of the year!”

Another colleague said “I’m not sure I like this new Dave!” and I think she actually meant it.

To be honest, I don’t care.

I want to be happy and unless I actually move completely out of my comfort zone and start actively DOING stuff about it, as Muse suggest, I will get nowhere. In fact, even if I do that I will still probably get nowhere.

All I can do is moan and there are too many good things in life to let these monolithic developments get me down.

I used to own a mug that said “Don’t Let The Bastards Get You Down” which I bought in protest to my company’s policy of not allowing swearing in the work place.



But that joke mug has a message that is actually something deeper.

The best way out is to joke about it and hopefully you will see the mad anarchistic rants of 2016 become cynical and satirical put downs instead.

And that will piss of the anarchist no end.

4 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Some rants are necessary as a precursor to change.
Some a waste of time and energy.
Not always easy to tell the difference.

joeh said...

About a week ago, I started to click the "Don't show this source" button on Facebook for every article about politics regardless of affiliation. I have unfollowed several friends and even some family who just can't stop posting about the election and other stuff and I have unfollowed a couple of blog friends until things calm down.

I now receive almost no such articles and my blood pressure is so much lower.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi EC,

Yes they are and I feel like mine have been in your latter category. I still kind of think ranting is therapeutic but it is much less stressful to change the rant to a piss take, like Saturday Night Live have recently been doing in the US. When you laugh at something that is absurd, it actually helps you realise the truth of the matter at hand, something which will be more obvious than listening to a ranting madman (like me).

:o)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Joeh,

I've all but given up on Facebook, particularly when friends post political propaganda (which incidentally is something I never do).

And maybe if I stop ranting about things my BP will fall too - it's not too bad normally but I imagine it goes through the roof when I rant.
:o)

Cheers

PM