Tuesday 31 January 2012

31 Days of Blogging - Day 31


Day 31 – Robyn – With Every Heartbeat



With Every Heartbeat is a song that Mrs PM introduced me to during a car journey to see her Mum in Blackpool.

She played three songs from Robyn’s album and I hated two of them. I grimaced as I endured the first two songs but then With Every Heartbeat came on and I smiled in surprise.

“Is this the same woman?” I asked incredulously.

“Yes,” she replied.

“This is a great song,” I said and Mrs PM almost crashed the car in shock.

It reminds me of the early 80’s when pop music was good with the electronic sound that I still love.

I struggle these days to listen to pop music because it has changed so radically and is mostly utter rubbish. I realise that I sound just like my dad did in the 70’s.

The song was released in 2007, the year before I started this blog, which I think is a fitting place to end this blogathon.

I hope you’ve enjoyed reading it and seeing a few glimpses into my life and the events that have shaped the person whose nonsense you have been reading, dear reader.

There have been ups and downs and I’m sure there are more ups and downs to come – mostly ups hopefully.

But that’s life, isn’t it?

At the moment I am thoroughly enjoying my life and have been, really, since the turn of the millennium. As the years go by I am more and more content. I am probably happier now than I have ever been.

I have a house that I am proud of (though it still needs some work) and three adorable cats. Yes – even Liquorice, the hellcat, can be extremely cute. I now know her well enough to be able to predict when she wants to rip my face off.

Here is Poppy trying to decide whether I want to feed her – or eat her.



Here is Jasper, the fat cat, doing what he does best – sleeping.



And here is Liquorice helping me cure writers block - I daren't refuse.


I have a job that winds me up on a daily basis but has the major perk that it allows me to visit other countries. I may moan about my job but it has taken me to Europe, Singapore, Hong Kong, Russia, China, Canada, the Caribbean and the United States. It is the one dilemma left in my life – and I’m sure I will work it out in years to come. The travel bug is still alive and kicking – and I have plans over the next year or two to visit some fabulous places.

I have two brilliant sons. I would call them boys but one of them is 18 and the other almost 16. Mrs PM calls them the clones because their resemblance to me is striking – just like my resemblance to my dad.

Time has healed a lot of the pain between W and myself and we now get on relatively okay. We always said that the boys would come first, and thankfully we have both tried to make that the case. I don’t think the boys have ever seen an argument between us since we split up.

And of course, there is Mrs PM. She is a wonderful woman and has been there for me for the past fourteen years. It is difficult to say in words how much she means to me so I will just say that I love her more each day and I simply don’t know what I would do without her. She has embraced my sons as if they were her own and she adores them. She has seen me at my lowest and has been there to help me find my way back. She is always there for me.

And of course, the last four years or so has been taken up with The Plastic Mancunian blog. I’ve always loved writing but I never really got my words out on paper until Mrs PM and I went to China. I also wrote an account of my trip to Australia in 2005 that we embarked upon with Mrs PM’s mum and her partner for her 60th birthday. I wrote the account as a present – and she loved it.

After that, Mrs PM suggested that I get my drivel out there into cyberspace and when I saw that a work colleague had done it, I took the plunge in March 2008. I decided to start the blog as a new hobby but it took me three months to pluck up the courage to actually publish my first nonsensical post – about the football team I support.

Since then, I have thoroughly enjoyed posting all manner of garbage out there into Blogland for anybody in the world to read.

For me it is a great hobby that is an outlet for my love of writing. It’s fantastic to know that there are people out there who do actually read it (I’m delighted by that in fact) but even if nobody read my musings I would still hurl them into cyberspace.

Writing to me is an means for me to vent my spleen and express myself in my own absurd way. Work colleagues read it, my sons occasionally read it, friends read it and people from all over the world read it. Mrs PM reads it too and often chuckles at my portrayal of our life together.

And I love that – I really do.

I’ll sign off for now by reiterating that I hope you enjoyed this little 31 day blogging exercise. It gave me the chance to enjoy some music from my past and to reminisce about events that have shaped my life, both good and bad.

I’ll leave you with another photo of me, Mrs PM and the boys from Ibiza last year.


Not sure who that bloke is at the back though - probably laughing at me in shorts.

Anyway - thanks for reading.

14 comments:

drb said...

Oh no! last blog of the January Blogathon! Thank you very much Mr PM, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Now, I have to find other distraction from writing my own papers and grants. I am suffering from writers' block.

I love your blog becuase you have such a positive outlook and reflections. Please don't sto writing. If you publish a book, I will buy it and recommend it to my family and friends.

Pandora Behr said...

I can take or leave this song, but I've thoroughly loved your work over the last month - though where was the heavy metal?

Great work. You've inspired me to do similar.

Pand

Elephant's Child said...

Congratulations on completing the 31 day challenge. And thank you. Your cats could be clones of ours, and I love how happy Mrs PM, you and the clones look in that last photo. Brilliant.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi drb,

There will be another one - maybe later in the year, though I need to decide what form it takes.

There is no chance of stopping writing - I have too much fun with it.

Thanks for your kind words.

:0)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Pand,

The next one will be all rock/heavy metal music. I'll bet you can't wait!

I think you definitely should do something similar - it was real fun.

:0)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi EC and thanks,

Your cats are very cute too :0)

Thanks again for your kind words.

:0)

Cheers

PM

Mind Of Mine said...

Congrats on reaching day 31, many have tried and failed!

I like Robyn, you should check out her remix of 'Be mine' with Rye Rye.

Also the Ellie Goulding and Eric Hassle cover of the same song.

Kath Lockett said...

PlasMan, thanks for sharing thirty one songs with us - I loved 30 out of 31 of them and was both mightily relieved and surprised that Rammstein et al weren't included.

And to be happy with your lot is utterly deserved. LOVE photo of Mrs PM, you and your handsome lads!

River said...

Well done! You made it! 31 days.
Finally I get to see a photo of Mrs PM and isn't she lovely!
Robyn is another singer I've never heard of.
This whole post was lovely to read, I feel the happiness coming through.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi MoM and thanks,

I've heard a few more songs by Robyn - and with one exception I'm not that impressed (its the style of music more than anything else). I will keep an eye on her though.

:0)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Bonjour Kath,

Ah - wait until the next 31 Days! I've earmarked 31 "mellow" rock songs (which you may actually like) followed by another 31 Days of pure heavy metal - which you probably will NOT like. But you may like the posts that accompany them though.

And thanks (as always) for your kind words.

;-)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi River - and once again, thanks,

I've posted a photo of Mrs PM before (you may have missed it).

Glad you can feel the happiness - if everybody was happy, the world would be a much better place.

:0)

Cheers

PM

Christine said...

I've popped in and out of this series, reading it in batches and offering a few comments here and there. I would like to say that this has been a fantastic series and I thank you for it. There is much in the music I don't know, living in the antipodes as I do, but the meanings linked with each piece have certainly enriched this, your autobiography.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Christine,

Thanks for your kind words.

There is much more music out there that I could link to bits of my life - and I do plan another similar exercise in the future.

I enjoyed writing it.

:0)

Cheers

PM