Thursday 26 January 2012

31 Days of Blogging - Day 26


Day 26 – Madonna – Ray of Light



I used to really fancy Madonna – though recently I’ve gone off her. As far as her music is concerned, I am not generally a fan of Madonna at all – but I do love this song and the album from which it comes.

And I can't deny that she is a superstar.

You might be a little surprised therefore by my choice today. Allow me to explain.

Getting used to living with a new person can be troublesome. Mrs PM and I did actually get on but had a few hiccups on the way.

By far the biggest hiccup, which is still there and shows no sign of abating, is the dreadful taste in music she has.

Our musical tastes are so completely different that we actually argue about music – even to this day. I am deeply opinionated about music and Mrs PM’s choice of tune is firmly in the category that makes me rant, rave and pontificate about.

Apart from a few hidden gems that is – like Ray of Light.

When we were in the honeymoon period of our relationship, I wanted to do something romantic. I opted to record a bunch of power ballads that I could hand over to her. Something made me change my mind.

We were watching a TV programme and “Is This Love?” by Whitesnake came on.

“This is AWFUL!” she howled. “Turn it off!”

I looked at the tape I was in the middle of preparing and the second song was “Is This Love?”

Thank God I found out before I completely embarrassed myself.

Over the first couple of years of our relationship, I was subjected to all manner of dreadful tune. To be fair, from her perspective, so was Mrs PM.

We both had to endure listening to bands and artists that we had never heard of or absolutely loathed.

For me it was dross like Mariah Carey and any DOOF DOOF style dance number that is repetitive, boring and tedious.

For her it was Rush and heavy metal.

To this day we hate each the vast majority of other’s music. The sad thing is that we actually now know each other’s music because we constantly have to listen to stuff we don’t like.

She has driven me almost to breaking point with Lady Gaga and Rihanna while I have subjected her to Dream Theater and Metallica.

And my aim is to brainwash her with my music so that she comes to love it. She does this too.

It won’t work – we both know it.

However, the good news is that over the years we have found some common ground and we can actually play music that we both like…

Well – a little anyway.

At least I have now broadened my musical horizons such that at quizzes I can identify the dreadful artists that she likes (shocking those who know my musical preferences).

And so can Mrs PM.

Some good has therefore come from our differences.

That’s what I keep telling myself anyway.

10 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Ruefull sniggers here. I really don't like a lot of the smaller portions music (or books) and he loathes mine. It does mean that the household music/book collections are v large.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I share a certain amount of music and then there is the music we don't - so headphones are the name of the game. He can be amenable to "new" music as long as it falls within the range of his preferred genres...But I will never like Vivaldi or Joan Baez or Leonard Cohen (or most folk singers/songs) and he will never like the Russian composers or Italian opera or Latin music but old time rock and roll we agree on...(and we are the same age).

drb said...

Hi Mr PM,
That is the beauty of hooking up with someone who is different to you! It opens up horizon/territory that you'll not normally venture - your life will be enriched!!!

Rob introduced the fun of boogieboarding (I still to scared of sharks to surf) and cycling to me; he discovered the beauty of dances (including ballet) and paintings after meeting me.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Grace,

Headphones are a key element in harmonious living.

That doesn't stop either of us those - especially me.

:0)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi EC,

Our house is full of CD's - and I will not get rid of them ever. Books on the other hand are a problem. Mrs PM wants me to get rid of most of mine.

I will be getting a Kindle soon I reckon.

:-)

Cheers

PM

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi drb,

My life is certainly entiched - but Gaga is pushing the boundaries a bit.

I've tried boogieboarding - not in the UK though - the water's too cold.

Ballet? mmm - not my kind of thing at all - but unlike opera the jury is still out.

:0)

Cheers

PM

River said...

I prefer a lot of Madonna's earlier songs. I've probably heard some from Ray of Light, but don't recall what was/is on the album. I never bought any of her albums, just borrowed songs from my daughters to put on the ipod for walking purposes.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi River,

I'm not a fan of Madonna's early stuff - or her most recent stuff either.

It seems everybody else is. Mrs PM has actually seen her live. I would have gone for a laugh but the price was unbelievably high.

:0)

Cheers

PM

Kath Lockett said...

How odd, that you write about how little music that you both enjoy and you pick the one song from Madonna that I *hate*

....then again, I thought 99% of her output post 1990 was excrement.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Bonjour Kath,

I agree - apart from that one album.

Pre-1990 was absolutely dreadful.

:-)

Cheers

PM