Saturday 22 May 2010

Sunday Stealing - The Voice Post Meme


Well folks, I’m off on holiday to Canada (taking in Calgary and Vancouver) and America (visiting Alaska) on Monday so I thought I would have a go at a Sunday Stealing Meme before I go (I’m too lazy and too busy to write anything more challenging).

Of course, all this assumes that the Icelandic ash cloud doesn’t change direction and scupper my plans, or the British Airways strike doesn’t leave me stranded in Seattle. Also, isn’t it just typical that I plan to visit Iceland in August in the year that a bloody volcano erupts and brings European air traffic to a standstill? I’m cursed – I’m sure of it.

Be warned – when I return, it will be a few days before the World Cup starts so I will be boring you senseless (well, boring you more than I usually do) with posts about the mighty England and how we are going to conquer the football world (in my dreams at least). I’ll bet you can’t wait.

To the meme:

1) What's your middle name?

Sadly, my middle name is George. It almost became my first name but thankfully my mum intervened. Good old mum.

2) How old are you?

Too old – 47 (with the brain and mindset of a very immature 15 year old).

3) Where are you from? Are you living there right now?

I’m from Walsall originally and I live in South Manchester – that’s in England, if you hadn’t already guessed.

4) Is it cold where you are?

Normally it’s quite mild but today has been the hottest day of the year so far, with bright sunshine banishing the clouds and temperatures of 27 degrees Centigrade. Nice.

5) What's the time?

It’s currently 22:05.

6) What are you wearing?

I’m wearing shorts and a T-shirt – and underpants of course.

7) What was the last thing you listened to?

Joe Satriani – Ride (From “Flying in a Blue Dream”)

8) What was the last thing you ate?

Chicken fajitas.

9) What was the last thing you watched on TV?

Friday’s episode of “Lost” – only two to go.

10) What's your favorite tv show? Why?

There are too many to mention but at the moment I would probably say “24” or “Lost”, with “Dr Who” in there too. Why? Because they are weird, gritty and fun – just like me (though perhaps not gritty – I can’t imagine myself being Jack Bauer - maybe Jack Bauer's geeky brother perhaps - if I stretch my imagination in a weird way that is).

11) Quick! Find a book, or something with text on it! Flip to a random page and post the second paragraph's first sentence.

“The easiest way is to have him imagine himself at the top of a staircase”.

12) What was the last movie you saw? How was it?

“Gran Torino” with Clint Eastwood. It was an excellent film – funny and sad. I shed a tear at the end.

13) Do YOU think you have an accent? Where do people in your country do people speak with strong accents?

I certainly used to have a strong accent when I lived in Walsall. It is known as a “Black Country” accent and, to the untrained ear, it is very difficult to make sense of it. Here is a typical opening gambit:

“D’yow fancy cumming to the pub for a poy ana point? Nouw? Orroight – oll see ya next wik. Tara a bit, skip”.

I live in the UK so there are hundreds of strong accents. We all struggle to understand some of them. I can imagine if you come from America or Canada then you might struggle with them. I might try some on my holiday next week – for a laugh.

Anyway, that’s it for now so I’ll see you in a couple of weeks (travel permitting).

4 comments:

annies home said...

interesting line from book just wonder what book it is from

I am Harriet said...

Lots of 47 year olds, admitting their age, playing today :)

Have a great day!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/05/where-are-you-from-are-you-living-there-right-now-is-the-pool-safe/

Kath Lockett said...

Enjoy your holiday, PlasMan and it's relief to see that you're remembering to wear underpants!

River said...

Do you think you'll come back with a Canadian accent? Enjoy your time away.