Friday 21 August 2009

The Book



The campaign against procrastination continues.

After battling for a week, I think I am on top. Rather than wasting my time getting savaged by strangers on Mario Kart, watching tripe on TV and generally messing about like a complete arse, I have attempted to take control of my life. And the fabulous news is that after a week I have successfully completed all the tasks I set myself.

The question is: can I keep it up?

Well, now comes the biggest test: the book.

After last week’s declaration of war, I set myself the target of deciding exactly what I wanted to do and coming up with a rough plan of action.

I’ve decided that writing a work of fiction is a little too much for me at the moment because not only do I have to come up with a decent plot, I have to invent characters and trawl the sickening depths of my innermost thoughts in order to come up with a monstrous story that would make me happy. I’ve not dismissed the idea – I just don’t consider myself to be ready yet.

I’ve therefore decided to write a book about life; a work of non-fiction that is hopefully quite funny. It will be an extension of the odious poppycock that I write in this blog and will therefore serve three purposes:

(1) It will allow me the freedom to comment on the insane world we live in.
(2) By posting excerpts of the book on this blog, I will combine writing a book with the continuation of “The Plastic Mancunian” (I don’t want to concentrate on the book at the expense of the blog).
(3) It will allow you, dear reader, to pass judgement on the drivel that I write.

The book hasn’t got a title but a rough one (until I think of something better) is “The Plastic Mancunian’s Guide to Life” – I will change it, but the title isn’t important at this moment in time.

The good thing about the idea, for me at least, is that I am a grumpy, opinionated old goon who can use the book to let off steam about the insanity that life throws at people; a fully fledged rant, if you like.

Thus I have put my cards on the table and told the few readers who stumble onto this blog about my plans; ergo I have to complete the book in order to save face.

I will let you know how I am getting on and how the campaign against procrastination progresses.

Wish me luck.

8 comments:

Just me said...

Good Luck! You know what Hemingway said about writing, forgive me for paraphrasing: 'Writing is Easy - all you have to do is sit down at the typewriter and start to bleed'...

Plastic Mancunian said...

Thanks JM,

I like the quote :-)

I'm looking forward to the challenge (I think).

Cheers

PM

bingkee said...

I wish that book is going to be worked on soon, and will be out for publication.

I started writing a book too. I already have a title, "Bitches in America" , but I did not finish it when I learned that self-publishing is very , very expensive.

And I don't know any publisher.

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Bingkee,

A friend of mine recently had a book published, which is one of the many reasons why I've pushed myself to start one.

I'm not sure I will get it published - I'll see how the finished product looks. I'm doing it because I love writing and I have a lot to say; that said, I'll see what people think. You never know.

:0)

Cheers

PM

Nige said...

"My Life as a Dilbert Impersonator"? ;-)

Good luck with the book, I have another friend who started writing a book about 15 years ago and is still going!

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Nige,

You cheeky bugger ...

:-)

I have actually written 1000 words - it's still very rough but at least I'm chipping away.

Cheers

Dave

Adam said...

Good luck with it - put me down for a copy!

Plastic Mancunian said...

Hi Adam,

If it gets published I will

:-)

Cheers

PM