Sunday 29 June 2008

100 Rock Songs (51 to 60)

The next ten …

(51) Guns ‘n’ Roses – You Could Be Mine

In my opinion, “Use You Illusion II” is the greatest album created by Axl Rose and his buddies. “You Could Be Mine”, featured on the soundtrack of “Terminator 2: Judgement Day”, is the best song on the album. A true rock song. Superb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlzptZ9wieQ

(52) Kingdom Come – Should I?

Kingdom Come were condemned as “Led Zeppelin-clones” and its not difficult to see why. The German singer, Lenny Wolf, has a very similar voice to Robert Plant and the great band’s influence on Kingdom Come is there for all to see. That said, when I heard “Should I?” I was so impressed that I immediately bought the album. The song is terrific and is so similar to Led Zeppelin it is uncanny. Led Zeppelin fans may hate them but I think this song is a classic. Brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjDXd8XhtZg

(53) Metallica – Enter Sandman

Metallica were always too heavy and thrashy for me. Their early stuff, to me, was a wall of deafening noise that had no direction. That’s just my opinion. “Enter Sandman” changed all that. The song is loud and heavy but it shows that the band are essentially great musicians. It is one of my favourite songs of all times. Scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRYDetbwegs

(54) Nine Inch Nails - Wish

Trent Reznor is an innovative genius who can do nothing wrong in my view. I discovered “Wish” very recently, although it was released fifteen or so years ago. It is wonderfully dark and heavy and represents Trent Reznor at his very best. Fast drums, wailing guitars and extreme angst – pure ecstacy! I can’t stress how much I love the guy’s work. Deep, dark, nasty and brilliant!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68KxXeeHXHk

(55) Ozzy Osbourne – No More Tears

Ozzy has blossomed since leaving Black Sabbath. The self-proclaimed “Prince Of Darkness” is at his menacing best in “No More Tears”, the title track of the album of the same name. The song is dark and heavy yet has an orchestral interlude that slots in perfectly. A great rock anthem. Menacing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHNmyN6mPsM

(56) Brian May And Cozy Powell - Resurrection

Somebody bought Brian May’s solo album “Back To The Light” as a Christmas present and I was not bowled over until I heard the brilliant “Resurrection”. Brian May as part of Queen has performed on many of the band’s heaviest anthems but with the aid of Cozy Powell I don’t think Queen have produced anything as good as this song. Cozy Powell’s influence is there for all to see and with Brian May at his very best as a guitarist we have a stormer of a song. Blistering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9BgCvNz1jA

(57) Joe Satriani – Summer Song

I saw Joe Satriani for the first time when he toured with the album “The Extremist”, probably his most successful album to date. “Summer Song” is the big hit from that album and is as the name suggests a feelgood rocker touched with Joe Satriani’s guitar virtuosity. Performed live, the entire audience jumped up and down. A wonderful tune. Heavenly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icdnKydffZQ

(58) Thunder – Empty City
.
“Empty City” from the album “Laughing On Judgement Day” is my favourite song by Thunder. It begins slowly and gradually mutates into a thoroughly decent rock monster. I love it but sadly is not available to view, sad because some of Thunder’s inferior songs can be heard all over the internet. Never mind. As before, if you get a chance to listen to “Laughing On Judgement Day” go straight to “Empty City”. You will not be disappointed.

(59) Ugly Kid Joe - Neighbor

Ugly Kid Joe came to prominence thanks to with “I Hate Everything About You”. From the same album, comes “Neighbor”, a much better song with the same tongue in cheek lyrics. The accompanying video captures the essence of the song perfectly. Very amusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtNW88sgO04

(60) Coverdale/Page – Whisper A Prayer For The Dying

When David Coverdale and Jimmy Page got together for a one off album in 1993 they created a work of genius. I was sceptical to be honest but after listening to it, I found that the two men had combined the very best of Whitesnake and Led Zeppelin to produce something special. “Whisper A Prayer For The Dying” is typical of the album, a larger than life rock anthem. Jimmy Page’s guitar is exquisite and David Coverdale’s voice is as good as it has ever been. Colossal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7ryUDF_uK0

61 to 70 to follow …

No comments: